Northern Challenge Fishing Derby
Come Fish in One of the Largest Ice Fishing Tournaments in NY State!
Each year, on the first Saturday in February, anglers from far and wide travel to Tupper Lake for the annual Northern Challenge Ice Fishing Derby. This northern pike contest populates Simon Pond with over a thousand fishermen and women who compete for over $40,000 in cash and prizes. Whether you are a participant or a spectator, this is a "must see" event to add to your winter calendar.
Saturday, February 4, 2023
Time: Tournament begins promptly at 7 a.m. and continues until 3 p.m.
Location: Simon Pond, Tupper Lake, NY (Tupper Lake Sportsmen's Club, 116 Lake Simond Road)
Participant Fee: $35
The verdict is still out on what the 2023 prizes will be, however in the mean time take look at some of the prizes that were awarded in 2022:
- A total of over $40,000 in cash and prizes.
- $800 is given away every hour for the largest fish.
- Over $6,500 in miscellaneous door prizes -- including, but not limited to: power augers, ice fishing shelters, underwater camera, fish finders, a Go Pro Camera system, tip-ups, gift certificates, and more.
- Two 4-wheelers will also be given away as door prizes.
- A "Lunker Pool" (where half of what is taken in goes to the person with the largest pike)
- Plus Five 50/50 raffles
The "catch and release" Northern Challenge Ice Fishing Derby is hosted by the Tupper Lake Sportsmen's Club.
Cool Fact: The award winning fish from 2015 weighed in at 16.62 lbs. He was caught and released back into the water - so he is out there, growing and waiting for you to drop your line!
New in 2018: Lucky Fish Drawing - 1 drawing every hour for 8 hours. Winner takes home $50 just for entering a fish.
- Registration Fee: $35 (For an additional $10 you can enter into the Lunker Pool)
- Event Day Registration: Registration begins at 4 a.m.
- Event Time: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Tupper Lake Sportsmen's Club: 116 Lake Simond Road
- Register online by February 1. If you do not register online, you will have to register in person day of. No mail in registrations accepted.
- Rules & Regulations
- Questions? Contact Dave at (518) 359-9715
- In the case of unsafe ice, all prizes will be given at noon by random drawings - you must be present to win.