Northern Challenge Fishing Derby
Come Fish in One of the Largest Ice Fishing Tournaments in NY State!
Each year, on the first Saturday in February, anglers from far and wide travel to Tupper Lake for The Annual Northern Challenge Ice Fishing Derby. This Northern Pike contest populates Simon Pond with over a thousand fishermen & women who compete for the over $35,000 in cash and prizes. Whether you are a participant, or a spectator, this is a "must see" event to add to your winter calendar.
February 4, 2017
Time: Tournament begins promptly at 7:00am and continues until 3:00pm.
Location: Simon Pond, Tupper Lake, NY (Rod & Gun Club, 116 Lake Simond Road)
Participant Fee: $35
The verdict is still out on what the 2017 prizes will be, however in the mean time take look at some of the prizes that were awarded in 2016:
- A total of over $33,000 in cash & prizes are waiting to be awarded.
- $800 is given away every hour for the largest fish.
- Over $6,500 in miscellaneous door prizes -- including, but are not limited to: power augers, ice fishing shelters, underwater camera, fish finders, a Go Pro Camera system, tip-ups, gift certificates, and more.
- Two 4-wheelers will also be given away as door prizes.
- A "Lunker Pool" (where half of what is taken in goes to the person with the largest pike)
- Plus Five 50/50 raffles
The "catch and release" Northern Challenge Ice Fishing Derby is hosted by the Tupper Lake Rod & Gun Club.
Cool Fact: The award winning fish from 2015 weighed in at 16.62 lbs. He was caught and released back into the water - so he is out there, growing and waiting for you to drop your line! (Photo above provided by the Tupper Lake Rod & Gun Club).
- Registration Fee: $35. (For an additional $10 you can enter into the Lunker Pool)
- Event Day Registration: Registration begins at 4am
- Event Time: 7am - 3pm
- Rod & Gun Club Address: 116 Lake Simond Road
- Questions?: Contact Dave at (518) 359-9715
- In the case of unsafe ice, all prizes will be given at 12 Noon by random drawings - you must be present to win.