Seymour Mountain is the stand alone peak of the Seward Range and located on the opposite side of Ouluska Pass and separated from Seward, Donaldson and Emmons by a very deep valley. For 90% of the hikers it is climbed on a separate day than the other three High Peaks in the Seward Range, but for the other 10% they push themselves to the limits and manage to grab all four. With an open rock ledge just beyond the summit, you will have outstanding views of the ridge, Ouluska Pass, and Long Lake located to the south. Outstanding views also reside off the back side of the summit for additional views into the pass. The herd-path is very remote and some of the most difficult snowshoeing in the Adirondack Park.
There is really only one route up this peak and that is along drainage to the north. The initial portion of the hike is along a well-used trail which can be very busy during the summer months. This trail is mostly uphill, but very gradually so. Rolling hills will keep your pace at check. After 4.5 miles you will come to the Ward Brook Truck Trail. Take a right here and continue over soft rolling hills along an old wood road. Just past the Ward Brook lean-to on your right, look for the Seymour herd-path – it will be marked with a cairn at its side.
The herd path starts out moderate and follows an attractive brook but quickly becomes much steeper and then continuously steep up the shoulder of the peak. The footing is very tough and steep and in many cases extremely slippery, be extra careful on the descent. The final approach to the summit mellows out a bit, but opens up a couple stellar views from a couple viewing platforms. Don’t miss the view from a ledge about 0.1 miles below the top. Snowshoe over the summit a bit, to additional viewing out over the scrub spruce.
From the intersection of Route 3 and Route 30 in Tupper Lake follow Route 3 toward Saranac Lake. Continue for around 8.5 miles to Corey’s Road which will be on your left. Follow Corey’s Road for 5.5 miles to the trailhead on the right.
Distance Round Trip:
Elevation Gain or Loss:
Time Round Trip:
Family with Young Kids: Not recommended
Experienced Hiker: 8 to 10 hours
Out of Shape Hiker: Not recommended